This notification is being sent to let you know that we are nearing the roll-out of some major changes that have been planned for a long while. These changes are much over due. There are several pieces to the first phase and there are multiple phases to this project. Please see this thread for more details and updates.
The overall goal of this project is to overcome several security issues that have been raised over the years. We have held off on making these changes for as long as possible, but rapid growth of our service (and therefore more attention from unscrupulous types) has forced us to finally implement them.
Initially, this project will affect ALL USERS as follows:
- The plan to eliminate multiple accounts will be deployed (Read more)
- Image requests sent to www.shrinktheweb.com will cease to work.
All future requests will be required to go to images.shrinktheweb.com
- We will also be rolling out the new bandwidth upgrade option, which will most likely be called "Bandwidth PLUS" and most likely cost $9.95/month (Read more).
For all CURRENTLY PAYING users, the affects will be as such:
- There will be some new PRO features & enhancements to existing PRO features
- Any active ALL PRO customers will receive those features added at launch (no charge)
For all NON-PAYING users, the affects will be as such:
- All code used by non-paying users will need to be updated
- The code update will allow us to more securely control link destination for safety of web surfers
- The code update also allows us to show a preview page to web surfers for verification
This project will be rolled out in the following phases:
Basic users will be required to update their code to address security concerns. This will take care of concerns that some publishers do not link to the actual site being shown in the website screenshot. This will also provide a second layer of security by showing a verification landing page to web surfers. This will help curb reports of unethical uses of our service and better protects end-users / web-surfers.
All users will be required to enter in at least one(1) website/IP to gain access to the system. Any "Bandwidth PLUS" customer will have the ability to add a virtually unlimited number of domains. No accounts will be allowed to use the same domain as another account and any existing accounts found in violation of our multiple accounts policy will be BANNED FOR LIFE.
The new bandwidth upgrade ("Bandwidth PLUS") will become available and new PRO feature customers will not receive any bandwidth limit increases as a bonus with the purchase. Instead, ALL bandwidth increases will come from bandwidth-related upgrades and PRO features will be completely separate. Any existing PRO customers will have the following options:
- Keep all of the PRO features and limits AS-IS; no changes to billing or services
- Trade a PRO feature in for the "Bandwidth PLUS" upgrade (adds shared generator access)
- Upgrade to "Bandwidth PLUS" and get an additional bonus (adds shared generator access)
The second phase specifics of this project will remain under wraps for now. We do not want to announce it until we are much closer to deployment.
The third phase specifics of this project have yet to be decided and will be announced at the proper time. Generally speaking, though, this phase will include new PRO features and a couple of existing PRO feature enhancements. We also hope to include some updated "sample code" that is more functional and provides added support.